Resita Iron & Steel Works (Combinatul Siderurgic Resita, CSR) was founded in July 1771 with the commissioning of its first two blast furnaces. CSR expanded and went on to become a major European steel mill during the 19th and 20th centuries.
The steel mill was nationalised in the mid-1900s and was operated by the Romanian government. Renamed Combinatul Siderurgic Resita S.A., the company was listed on the RASDAQ on November 11th 1996 and become public.
The company then went through a difficult transition period, including a failed privatization in 2000 and its subsequent reorganization procedure. On-going problems and conflicting interests led to the cancellation of the first privatization and called for a return of CSR to the Romanian government.
The privatization process was once again reinstated in 2003 and mid-2004 the company was sold by AVAS to Sinara Handel GmbH (now renamed TMK EUROPE GmbH).
Joining the TMK GROUP of companies rapidly proved beneficial to CSR (renamed TMK-RESITA in 2006) as investments in production capacity and management combined with financial aid helped restore and upgrade the mill and put steelmaking back at the heart of the community.
In February 2007 in TMK Resita was put in production a Continuous Casting Machine with a yearly capacity of 450.000 tons. In the same year was commissioned also a Vacuum Degases ladle.
In 2009 took place the upgrading of the Electric Arc Furnace.
In the next years different investments took place in TMK Resita like new billets diameters, equipments upgrading, a new scrap yards, bridge cranes, etc, all these investments have like objects to improve the quality, the environmental conditions, products quality control, the production flow, etc.
Today TMK-RESITA it is one of the five companies part of the TMK-European Division. All business of the TMK-European Division are managed by TMK-ARTROM as General Management Unit for all TMK-European Division’s companies.